In their constant explorations, toddlers demonstrate endless curiosity, a short attention span, and a sense of autonomy as well as a need for physical movement and personal will. However, they are still developing self-expression and self-control and depend on predictability in their daily routine as a basis for security.
Our teachers will provide a nurturing environment with a predictable schedule that includes indoor and outdoor exploration, one-on-one time and the flexibility to accommodate individual physical requirements for food and rest.
Group time will include singing, listening to short stories, dancing and similar activities that do not require prolonged sitting. All group and teacher directed activities are voluntary participation.
Toddler Curriculum and Milestones
Beach Babies curriculum programs provide developmentally age-appropriate activities and materials, developing essential school readiness skills through exploration, investigation, and of course, fun! It is very important to understand that all children develop at their own rate. Below are some typical milestones you can expect to occur during the first years of growth.
- Points to objects when named
- Experiments with sounds
- Names familiar objects in books
- Shows interest in colors and patterns
- Matches like shapes in simple puzzles
- Fills and dumps objects
Learning About the World/Science
- Uses senses to explore
- Manipulates new toys/objects to see what they will do
- Shows interest in environment (rocks, clouds, etc.)
Social & Emotional Development
- Begins to play independently
- Discovers how to respond to social situations
- Awareness of own feelings
Approaches to Learning
- Shows curiosity about new things
- Uses repetition to discover new skills
- Tries one or two solutions to play problems
Physical and Health Development
- Stacks blocks or toys
- Walks without help; begins climbing
- Makes marks with writing materials